Changing the office culture to create a healthy workplace environment takes dedication and commitment. Overhauling your office culture requires changing the norms to achieve a more health-oriented environment.
Workplaces are a key determinant of health and proactive employers have the opportunity to create a healthier environment by focusing on fitness and overall wellness.
1. Focus on Fitness
Public commitment from leaders
- To create a healthy workplace, you must walk the talk! Switch from soda to water, replace a bag of chips with almonds and take time to get up and move during the afternoon!
- Leaders have the opportunity to influence the office culture by exemplifying healthy behaviors themselves
Support healthy lifestyles
- Employees need to feel comfortable and supported to pursue and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Support positive work-life balance to promote stress management
- Be flexible—allow employees to exercise over lunch or take walking breaks during the afternoon
2. Work on Wellness
Revamp vending machines
- Easily accessible vending machines are often the downfall to many people’s attempts at eating healthy each day
- Containing predominantly junk food and soda, vending machines are out to sabotage our diets!
- Remove vending machines or replace the junk food with healthy snacks and water-- employees won’t be as tempted to pig out!
No dumping rule
- This is as straightforward as it sounds—no dumping leftover junk food or desserts in the employee break room!
- Healthy snacks are allowed but don’t tempt yourself & others by keeping leftover brownies or cookies lying around!
- Take it up a notch- ban junk food from meetings! Offer healthy snacks and water, which will energize all attendants!
Healthier employees are happier and more productive employees- they have more positive attitudes and are less likely to take days off due to illness. Likewise, health-conscious companies will see reduced presenteeism-- lower quality of work due to illness/disease.
For more helpful tips on how to create a healthy office culture, visit this insightful blog!